Here is to looking forward and enjoying the small moments

Here is to looking forward and enjoying the small moments

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Finally!! We went camping!!

This has been one of the most hectic summers I have ever had and definitely the busiest since we have been together. With Brett working his crazy hours - including nearly every Saturday - and me in school every day all summer we haven't had much of chance to do a whole lot of anything outdoors.
But.... our ward planned a outing and we were stoked! Brett was even to get that Saturday off work and off we went. 
I actually had to babysit but Brett was able to go up early and the spent the evening on the lake while I was at work. After I [finally] arrived we had a campfire, ate s'mores and had a classic summer evening camping and telling stories in the flickering firelight. 
The next morning we were up early and a few of us went out on the lake. We took our Bishop's boat and got to experience his amazing barefoot water skiing skills. Then he taught our friend Brad and a bit later Brett got to try his hand at it. After Brett had a turn the water was still glassy and beautiful and so our Bishop could not helping jumping back in the water. However, at this point he had no experienced boat driver to pull him. I have had instruction and lessons on driving a boat but had never had a ton of practice or had the opportunity to really pull anyone behind the boat-- let alone pull anyone going almost 40 mph barefoot!! But- he was so trusting and so calm that I knew it would be okay. Pulling someone on the boom out to the driver side of the boat is like driving a car on the freeway and having a blowout only- in is case you have to keep driving. You can't stop and because they are barefoot you have to stay in as strait a line as possible. Ha. Ha. Ha. 
It w so crazy but it was so fun and I must say- I think it actually went pretty well. Brett said he was worried about my actual ability but said afterward he was impressed and would be willing to buy me a boat after watching me drive! Plus-- major bonus I even got the bishop on one foot ( which was his goal for the summer ) and had such a blast!!





We spent the rest of the day on the lake with the ward and Brett was able to have several chances to wake board and even had a few quite spectacular wipe outs as did many of the others.





While we were there we watched as this smoke cloud from the huge fires crept over the mountain. This was what it looked like as we were leaving the ward activity. When we woke up in the morning we actually woke up in the morning we had ash on our tent and the car. It was crazy!

After all the time we spent with the ward we were then able to drive to the other side of the lake and got to spend the evening o the lake with one of our favorite families. The Dinger's! The kids we so excited to have us with them. We spent sometime on the lake, some time on the beach, and time just being together. They are so much fun and such a joy to be around. They are each so full of their own unique energy and enthusiasm or lifeline and have such unique personalities it is always so much fun to be and to experience being a part of their lives.




I don't know how we ended up without a picture of Maddie or mom.. but somehow they were the lucky ones who got out of my photo barrage... guess they better watch out next time... I'll be out with my camera for revenge. 

Overall, the weekend was such a blast! It was busy and long- and by the time we got home Saturday night we were exhausted!! but it was all so so worth it! I am so glad that although  we had a crazy and insanely busy summer with hardly any time to do the things that we love most about summer that we were able to at least do this one thing and enjoy this one marvelous part of summer. It was a happy happy weekend! A huge thank you to allow those who made it possible! We cannot express to you how wonderful it was and how much it meant to us! You guys are the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment